- Posted by Darrell F
- On July 24, 2016
- 0 Comments
- blog hosting, blog setup, hostgator setup, wordpress blog, wordpress hosting, wordpress setup
HOW TO SET UP A BLOG TODAY WITH HOSTGATOR : STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Completion Time: 30-55 minutes
Difficulty Level: **
Have you been thinking about whether or not to set up a blog?
There are over 172k blogs started each day. All for different reasons; however, still around the same context.
In this step-by-step guide, I will be walking you through from start to finish.
To set up a blog, you will need three main parts components:
- Your Desired Domain – The website address the visitors will type in and see in the address bar.
- Your Self- Hosting Plan with Hostgator- 2.5X normal WordPress speeds. (My Personal Favorite, I use them for everything)
- A Free or Paid Theme- How your WordPress blog is laid out.
First part to set up a blog, is to completely understand the reason for the blog in the first place.
What is Blogging?
Blogging is like storytelling, it gives you the ability to share the things you are passionate about with others who share the same exact passions.
A student sharing their educational experiences with other students.
A top 500 company creating a suitable location for branding and client engagement.
Even my favorite reason, and one that I do, travel blogging :).
You have the freedom and flexibility to change the world with things you feel will change it, that’s if you want to change the world. lol
When you think about a blog, you should consider it a platform where you can create a community of like-minded individuals who hold similar values as you.
Will a Blog help you?
If you are reading this, I can say one thing certain. You are considering setting up a blog. Here are just a few reason to set up a blog today.
- You can use it to gain awareness about your Ideas, Business, Product, Services.
- If set up correctly, you can possibly make money from it different ways.
- If you have a low adverting budget, a blog is golden for your business.
To make your experience of setting up a blog more simple and easier to follow, I have broken it up into 3 phases, which each phase including a series of action steps to complete and why.
Phase One- The Prep Phase
I inform my business clients all the time, start at the end and work backwards. This is importance because a lot of time people fail at completing their blogs for the simple fact of them not having
a clear vision of where they want to take it. Now I am not saying, once you make an outline plan, you’ll can’t change it. Nevertheless, having a plan or an outline will always help guide you in the direction you want.
Ready? Great let’s get started !
Action Steps To Set Up A Blog Part One: (10 Minutes)
- OUTLINE YOUR REASON TO SET UP A BLOG
- What are you going to be sharing on it?
- Photos, Business Products, Your Thoughts, Training, etc.
- Who will likely read your blog?
- Teen, Moms, Dads, Single individuals, Business individuals, etc.
- What is your main goal for it? (Main Reason You Are Going To Use It?)
- Share information?
- Make Money? (Totally possible, I will cover this in the next series…Stay Tone)
- Branding Yourself and/ or Business?
- Unsure? (Just keep reading)
- 30–90-180-360 Day goals for the blog.
- This one is more important if you are setting up a blog to make money from it. You should have an idea on how you want to run it.
- Can be simple like 3 blog post a week, all the way up to a full editor plan with guest post and everything.
- What are you going to be sharing on it?
- Branding and Design
- When you think about your blog, you might not be thinking about branding or how it will look. Logo, cover, background,colors, etc. However, they all play a huge role in the success of a blog.
- Do you have a logo?
- Do you have a cover picture AkA Blog Header?
- What Colors are you going to use on your blog?
- What form of content do you want to use, Written, Video, Audio?
- All of which can be done after you follow this process, first you need to set up a blog.
- What Niche Are You In?
- A niche is a segment of a marketplace. ( I.E. Relationship Market –> Dating or Marriage Niche or Make Money Online –> Product/ Affiliate Reviews Niche, MLM, Direct Sell)
- Who are the leading people in your niche?
- This one should be simple, I strongly advise that you start out with a niche you are strongly knowledgeable with. (Will save you time researching things to write about)
- What Keywords are you trying to rank on search engines for?
- What are people commenting on and sharing on social media?
Phase Two- Start To Set Up Your Blog
First thing you will need to do to set up a blog is to decide on a domain name.
Most of the time people will just use their name, like I did on mine here. However, sometimes you will use keywords inside the domain to help in the SEO ranking.
(A keyword is a searchable term that tells the search engines, like Google and Bing what pages to show up)
If you are writing about something like a Business or a Product, your domain should be focused on that.
www.apple.com, www.dell.com, www.Redbull.com, www.Gap.com, www.weightloss.com
Tips to remember:
- Make it simple
- Make it easy to spell
- Make it memorable
*Quick Note- You may be wondering what is the difference between a domain and a hosting plan: A domain is like your physical address, 123 Main Street, Sweetville, NY 04578-0125. Whereas, hosting is the physical location, buildings, and the items inside of them. So you will need both, so save yourself money and do it all together at once.
Action Steps To Set Up A Blog Part Two- 30- 45 minutes
Step One: Writing down your ideal domains
- Make a list of your top five choices.
- Sometimes your first choice is not available.
Step Two: Go to Hostgator and Buy Your Domain with Hosting package.(Buy Your Hosting Here – Click Here)
- Buying it all together will save you a log of “techy” steps like External Nameservers , Domain Addons, etc.
Are you just starting out? The Starter plan is just right for the hobbyist style blogger. Always able to upgrade as needed.
If you wanted to start a blog for yourself, and your business, the Standard plan is currently on sale and provides you with suitable amount of components to grow your blogs.
Important note to remember: To get the discounted prices show, you must buy the annual level plans. Month-to-Month will be slight higher.
Buying a domain will allow people to type in or search for it. A domain is like Real Estate, people are able to search for you there. Your hosted domain is where all your information will be location. Like Facebook.com, CNN.com, Yahoo.com, YouTube.com, and Amazon.com, all these web addresses or domains. So your domain will be…
Step Three: Pick your hosting plan, remember your domain cost are included in the overall total.
Step Four- Enter in your billing Information or sign in via Paypal.
Step Five- Sign up for additional Services (They are free)
These two items, normally you can spend upward of $100, they will allow you to safeguard all your work, memories, photos. We all hate spam, and getting hacked. Hostgator takes security to new heights, ensuring your site is protected.
Step Six- Promo Code To Get Discount
Step Seven- Review and Buy
The end price will be decided on the number of sites you have, and the number of months you selected.
Step Eight: Congratulations, you have a website now. Lets set it up
First thing you will need to do is go to your email address you placed within the billing information section for your Cpanel log in information.
From : Sales@hostgator.com Subject Line: Your Account Information:
**Note, It may take up to 24 hours for your website to become live. However, 99% of the time, it is live within five minutes.**
Your cpanel login site will be:
Step Nine: Setting Up Your Website
Once you are logged in it will look like this. You will need to Sign up for a email address or use your own existing email.
After setting up your email, save the log in information somewhere safe.
Take that email and go down to quick install to install WordPress onto your domain in the software & services section.
Next you will click on the WordPress tag on the left hand side.
Next you will click on the Free WordPress install Tab
Now it is time for you to fill out your website information.
- You will pick the domain you want to install WordPress on. Leaving the path Blank.
- You will enter in your Email Address.
- You will enter in your site name/ blog title ( This is the title that will show up in search engines, You can always change it later).
- You will enter your admin user name- You can not change this.
- You will enter in your name, or the name you want to show up on the “by selected name”
- You will hit install and wait for it to handle all the techy stuff for you.
After you are done installing it, You will have a yellow bar drop down with your login credentials.
Click on the down bar and save these in the same location at your email address.
It will like like this:
Your Admin website: ww.yourdomain.com/wp-admin User Name (The name you selected on part 4 above), and long password, which you can change once logged in.
Step ten- Logging in and Setting Up Your WordPress
Your login information will be
www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin (This is your WordPress Admin dashboard) This is where you can install plugins, themes, Write Posts (blogs posts), and set up pages.
First Step You will need to go into your settings > Permalink Settings and change it to Post name. This will allow you to use your Blog Titles as your URL Permalinks.
Next, change your password if you want. Here:
Users > Click on your users account> Go all the way down to account management and hit generate password.
Next you want to delete the sample page and blog post that comes installed with WordPress.
Go to your Page Tab to delete the sample page and click on the add new button for “Blog”
Type in blog into the title section
You will see a url appear with your Domain.com/Blog
Now once you have added your content to your blog page, you will publish it.
Congratulations, You did it. You have successful set up your WordPress Blog. Now it is time to make it look more welcoming.
Phase Three- Customizing your Website. (25 Minutes)
At this time you reached this point, you have already set up your blog and ready to customized the look and feel of it.
There are just a few things you need to remember:
- A theme is the outline and overall feel of your WordPress Blog. You can visit and pick a them by clicking Appearance in your dashboard > Themes. You can also customize current themes there also.
- Selecting a theme that fits your business or personally taste. There are a ton free themes, even more paid ones that are professional developed.
- I professionally use the paid theme called Specular on all my websites, it is only $59 at the time of writing this blog.It allows you have Responsive layout, with the most flexibility that I have personally seen. They have over 28 nicely layout themes. Here are just a few reasons, I love using them. Click on the photo to learn more about this theme.
- Not looking for a paid them yet, a free theme that is extremely nicely layout is the “Business Elite”
- You did it, You have a website now 🙂
You just reached another amazing milestones. Now there is still a lot to be done. However, you are on your way to change the world with your blog.Buy your WordPress hosting now to set up a blog today.
To sum it all up:
You bought your domain
You got your hosting, meaning you have full control over your website.
You set up your website, and installed your theme.
Sign up for your free membership. Where we will be covering Plugins, Theme advance customization, intro into keyword research, and widgets. Also everything else you need to get your website up and running. Click the sign up now link below.
I wish you all the best with your website. Until next time. Like, comment, and share.